Monday, September 7, 2009

prayer walking

1st Sundays in our church mean one thing ... prayer breakfast. The concept is simple, you eat, you pray; except somehow, it got to be more about eating and less about praying. So, as the time for the 1st, 1st Sunday of the new church year rolled around, the wonderful lady who organizes our time together decided that we needed to change the focus. Let me just say, well done, my friend!

Today, instead of taking my kids off to hang out in the nursery while the adults prayed in the fellowship hall, we prayer walked our church while the adults spent a few minutes in corporate prayer before they also dispersed to pray throughout the building. We started in the sanctuary with the list my friend had prepared especially for the kids. During our whole walk, I only prayed one time. My children amazed me with their understanding as they prayed for the staff of our church, our instrumentalists and the choir. We walked down the hall and my 3 year old son prayed for his Sunday School class. Upstairs, the older kids did the same thing for their classes, as well as for the other classes that meet in those rooms.

I hope that this doesn't sound like I am feeling prideful about how "spiritual" my kids are. Just the opposite. I am truly humbled by what I experienced with my children today. This morning, through a 15 minute prayer time, God opened my eyes to what it means when in Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

I am thankful for new insight into who my children are and how open they are to taking the needs that they see around them to the Throne of God.

No comments: