Tuesday, September 8, 2009

the words I hate the most

There are two words that bring more trouble to the life of our little school than any other. These are the words that instantly stop any progress and can within seconds cause my anger to rise. They are so easy to say and so hard to overcome. As far as I can tell, there is no positive application for these words (though I am sure that there is something redeeming about the words, but for now, I don't even want to hear it).

You may have guessed by now that I am talking about the words I can't.

I can't work this math page.

I can't read that word.

I can't write an interesting story.

I can't be nice to my brother/sister.

Some days I just want to scream: YES YOU CAN! And if you tell me that you can't one more time I am going to come unglued!!!!!!

Rather than totally losing it with my kids (which I will confess to having done, but I am working on that) I have found myself quoting to them the equation: I can't = I won't try = I will fail. I am not sure where I heard this and I don't know if it is sinking in with them, but my goal for this year is to banish that evil idea from my kids' minds and replace it with Philippians 4:13 (which is the verse we have chosen for our school). I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

I would love to hear your ideas about how to accomplish this goal. How would you suggest getting rid of this attitude?

1 comment:

justcallmerie said...

Hey Jennifer! I'm so happy to follow! We have this same problem, I'm going to steal your equation. Sometimes when Izzy says, "I can't", I'll try to talk about the latest thing she just did that she did well. I try to remind her how good accomplishment feels (because sometimes she doesn't relate it to accomplishing)and tell her this can feel just as good. We like the banana tree song. I have a GREAT book -I Can't Said the Ant. Have you read it? If not, I'll bring it to MNO. Super, super book.

Love 'ya, Rie