Saturday, July 23, 2011

things i've learned this week

I cannot, in all honesty, say that this week without Ronnie has been a stress-free week, but I do think that I can say that I have learned a few things about myself.

First, I have learned that I can do things that I didn't think I could do.  Case in point, I can use Ronnie's new plunger that isn't shaped the same as the one I was used to ... up to now, I have been unable to make the thing work, but I just couldn't see calling my Daddy to come fix my problem, so I did it myself!

Second, I have learned that, while it is very hard for me to make myself go to bed at night (or in the early morning hours) when Ronnie isn't here, I actually like sleeping sprawled out over the bed.  I can't tell you if I like sleeping alone or not since Daniel slept with me at least part of every night, he just doesn't take up too much of my space!

Third, I have learned that Ronnie's more relaxed, laid back nature is a good balance to my not so laid back nature.  I tend to get very intense about things (okay, I know some of you already knew that!) and Ronnie is the one who keeps me from running off half-cocked most of the time.  He also balances out my parenting, which brings me to the next point.

Fourth, I have learned how incredibly thankful I am not to be a single parent or the wife of someone who travels on a regular basis.  I know that God provides the grace and strength we need for any situation, but I can't help but thank Him that this is not my "normal" situation.

Fifth, and finally, I have learned how much I take for granted all the little things that Ronnie does around the house, not to mention how much I take for granted our daily conversations.  And, honestly, it is the conversations I have missed the most.  I will be so happy to have a conversation with him that doesn't involve a cell phone!

For now, it is less than twelve hours from when we are supposed to pick Ronnie up from the airport and I think I can hold it together until then ... if I can just get these crazy kids to go to sleep!!!

1 comment:

Felicity said...

Well I feel pretty much the same as you do, Jennifer. I often have to remind myself to appreciate these kind of things more than I do!
I'm glad your husband is on his way back!!